Friday, February 26, 2010

Everyday Adventures

With a three-year old and a one-year old in the house, life around here is never boring. Below is a sampling of our everyday adventures.

Thursday: (We are still working on getting Isaac potty-trained.) Isaac tells me his tummy hurts. We go to the bathroom, and he poops in the potty for the first time! After much excitement and celebration, he looks down at the potty and declares, "Hey, Mom, my poop looks just like a chicken!" To the artist goes the interpretation...

Monday: After Isaac wakes up from his nap, he sits on the potty and we read, sing, and visit for about 30 minutes...nothing. At his request, I let him up with the agreement that when his body tells him it is time, we will run back there and try again. I walk directly to the living room, while the boys take a detour through the kitchen to sneak a doughnut hole out of the bag on the counter. Hearing Noah's aggravation at not being able to get his treat out of the bag, I walk around the cabinet to check on things. There is a huge puddle of water all over the floor. I quickly scan for the cup I assume Noah has pulled off the counter...no cup. Yes...you guessed it...ugh! Despite my instructions to the contrary, as I turn to grab the cleaning supplies, Noah steps toward us, and wham!...right down on his back in the middle of the puddle! Lovely.

Tuesday: I'm hurriedly trying to get the bills paid at my desk in the kitchen while Isaac is at his preschool class. Noah is playing in the living room. All of a sudden, I hear a very odd noise. I turn to see Noah standing on the glass-top end table in the living room, holding a Dr. Pepper can high above his head, and staring with excited amazement at the stream of liquid now splattering on the carpet below. Really...it's ok...I have nothing else to do right now...

Wednesday: After "giving (Isaac) some privacy" in his efforts, I return to check on him and find Noah proudly sitting up on the back of the toilet with his legs bent underneath him. After getting him down, I begin to read Isaac a story to pass some time. I hear Noah behind him, throwing some toys into the bathtub. Happy he is entertained, I continue reading. Then, I realize I hear nothing. I lean around Isaac to see Noah drizzling pretty designs all over the bathroom rug with the boys' shampoo. Sigh...

Friday: After his nap, Isaac and I again sit and entertain ourselves and Noah in the bathroom for several minutes. Nothing. I let him up with the same deal as on Monday (since that worked so well the first time). During the next 30 minutes, we make 2 mad races down the hall because "he heard his body talking to him." Nothing. At the third announcement, I let out an audible sigh, but jumped and followed. This time, he went! Yah! He actually "listened and heard."

No comments:

A boy is Truth with dirt on it's face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket. -- Author Unknown