Wednesday, March 11, 2009

CVS Tips

Note: This post goes with the previous post below this one, so scroll down and read it first if you haven't already.

For those of you interested in the CVS reward system, I read this and this from links in Rebekah's blog. These explanations were very helpful in figuring out how to do it. One of the cahiers also just told me about I Heart CVS . It has coupon links and help with figuring out some deals. It looks to me like some of the personal coupons that people submit cause problems at the store, so I'm not going to use them, but the cashier told me they do accept coupons printed off the coupon sites, such as coupons.com, etc. I also think the clues with the deals on this site would be helpful if you are still trying to figure it all out.

Other notes and things I've learned:
--- The author of the explanations says she often buys things she won't use to grow her extra bucks, but so far I've not done that. In four weeks, I've increased my ECB's by $8.00 and only purchased things I will use.
--- She also gets several copies of the paper for coupons. I may eventually do that, but so far, I'm just cutting out the one copy I already receive at the house. You probably already know this part, but CVS and WM do sell double copies of the paper, if you are interested in that much cutting and filing.
--- If you decide to try it, write out a plan before you go and be prepared to alter it. Take your coupon files and the circulars. They are occasionally out of the items you planned on buying to make the whole thing work, especially if you go later on Sunday or at the end of the week.
--- See if your store has a coupon printer. It is a little red machine located near the front, off the main aisle, of some CVS stores. You just run your reward card under the scanner, and it will print off a coupon or two for you. I've gotten several $4 off $20 coupons which are super helpful. Ask about it if you don't see it.
--- See if you can divide your purchase into two purchases and maximize your coupons. This will be helpful if you have more than one $4/20 or $3/15 coupons. Sometimes, these print at the end of your purchases or out of the red machine. I asked a friendly cashier (the one that offered me additional info about how to do this when I did the purchase for $1.51 - she does it, too!) about the necessity of going out and coming back. She said that unless there is a long line, they will let you just do more than one purchase at a time at the register. If there is a line, she suggested that you might be nice :) and move to the back to do the second purchase or something.
--- Look beyond the pics in the ads. Sometimes, they put a pic of one item, but list several items below it that will also apply to the reward. For example, this past week, they showed a couple of kinds of granola bars that we don't (shouldn't) eat, but below the pic, they listed some kinds (low-point) we do buy. I didn't realize it until I got to the store and saw the tags on the shelves. I also had 2 more coupons for those bars in my files. Since I had the coupons with me, I pulled them out and saved an extra dollar. I had to re-arrange my plan, but was able to add three boxes of them, use a second $4/$20 coupon that I got out of the red machine that day, divide into two purchases, and spend even less money than in my original plan!
--- Every 3 months, they will issue you ECB's for 2% of any money you have spent, plus 1 ECB for every two prescriptions you've had filled.
--- If you have several CVS stores near your home, choose the biggest store. The smaller ones don't always carry all the items in the paper, have less options on bulk categories, and run out of things faster.

Rebekah also had this info on Walgreens, but I only want to tackle one store for now.

This does take some time figuring out and following through. I determined to give it a couple months, but have decided after just one month that it is well worth it. I'm also getting a little faster at figuring out the deals and building up some ECB's, which helps! ;) Good luck and have fun!!! Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll help if I can! --And please let me know if you figure out an additional tip! I'm new at this, too! :)

1 comment:

Myers Mama said...

Note on previous comments:

Sorry, Rebekah! I knew that...I've recently met a "Rebecca" and had it on my brain, I guess!

You are doing great, too! I saw the posts you've been doing on Walgreen's and CV's!

"Giddy" is the perfect word for it! There is no telling how many times I've come back to look at the pictures of all the items! Comparing different grocery stores is my next task. I'm bad to just go to WM and take their prices. I do price-match from the circulars sometimes, though, especially on things like soft drinks and baby items.

A boy is Truth with dirt on it's face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket. -- Author Unknown